Thursday 19 April 2018

Why did you choose your career?

"To be or not to be,  that is the question"  William Shakespeare

Our future ...
Big decisions usually find yourself at a crossroads; especially when you are a teenager and your future professional life depends on your wise determination today. This is when you realize that you are a young adult with a huge responsibility...your future. But did it happen that you didn´t know what to study when you finished high school?

When I was at primary school, I thought of becoming a doctor, an architect, an engineer and also … a cartoonist (an artist in drawing cartoons). Cartoon magazines—Disneyland, Condorito, Mickey mouse—were quite common for everyone…

Science, technology and more...
During high school, I developed a liking for languages, mainly English, and science, particularly through the subjects of Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Computers did not exist and Internet existed only in my dreams; but, I have dear memories of my  teacher of biology who was then the Wikipedia/Internet application that opened my mind to biology, pushing me to uncover the mysteries of life; I also have wonderful memories of the chemistry lab sessions and I still have an excellent book of physics with plenty of information to fill my need of learning.

What would I study when I finished high school? Well, I must say that the possibilities were not many. Why? Simple, money. Although you could start almost any career, some of them were, and still are, quite expensive. Medicine, engineering and architecture demanded expensive materials that my family could not afford. So, as English was—and still is—important, I decided to learn English following the teaching profession.

I became a teacher of social English and had the opportunity and luck of having training in scientific English  as part of my studies at the university. This training in scientific English brought me to the Fac. of Chemical
and Pharmaceutical Sciences; has allowed me to work in various fields at different places (Economics, Nutrition, Medical Technology, Civil Engineering ...); has permitted me to be the editor of a Scientific English Newsletter; and also be visiting Professor in academic activities.

My liking of English, teaching, and science is evidenced through the design and creation of a website with Scientific English exercises.  So, as you may see, English and Science have united in the end. 


&&&&&

Now, it's your turn
Tell me about:
- your dream jobs when you were a child
- other career options that you had at the moment of applying to university
- what made you decide in the end
- your experience at university until now
- the kind of job you would like to have

Word count: 130 words
REMEMBER: Leave comments on 3 of your classmates' posts and on your teacher's post as well.

25 comments:

  1. WOW is amazing! in the end you connected the sciencie with english.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine,
      In the end, everything is interconnected.
      See you,

      Delete
  2. Hi, great story! It's amazing how you finally never abandoned science

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Belén,
      Try to do your best in anything you do... that's the idea.
      See you,

      Delete
  3. Interesting. Finally you are closer of your liking for science too. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wowww you are a editor of Scientific English Newsletter? that´s really amazing!!,but the most important is that you surpassed yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valentina,
      I was editor for a time. You'll surely do better...!
      See you,

      Delete
  5. Is very sad have to change the career for not having the resources :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sofía,
      In the end, you find an adequate place in your life.
      See you,

      Delete
  6. Interesting, sometimes the first option doesn,t that someone choose in the final, the english language is a very important resource today, and that you have the opportunity to teach is very good, over the cost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicente,
      Life is life... live and learn...
      See you,

      Delete
  7. I really love your job! I think that be a teacher it´s a beautiful career. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Haidee,
      All careers are great when you commit to do your best...
      See you,

      Delete
  8. Such a interesting story!You made the right decision because you are an excellent teacher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catalina,
      Nice to know... We all hope to do our best... You too...
      See you,

      Delete
  9. I'm so happy that you could find your vocation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Francia,
      It's nice to find your place in life...
      See you,

      Delete
  10. it´s nice to reade that you are happy and pleased with your decision

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valentina,
      When you finish your studies, you'll feel the same in your life...
      See you,

      Delete
  11. it's great that at the end you could have the science as part of your job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula,
      In the end, we all find what we like to do in life.
      See you,

      Delete
  12. A pity that the world and dreams move for the money. But, i'm happy that you could find your vocation:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megumi,
      I hope you have found yours too.
      See you,

      Delete
  13. It is amazing how technology progress quickly!!

    ReplyDelete