Friday 20 July 2018

Music in our lives...!

Music produces a kind of pleasure that human nature cannot do without 
Confucius

Have you ever wondered about the kind of music, melody, song, tune ... you first listened to? Most likely you were not born yet. Women use to sing to their unborn babies during pregnancy and some are fond of playing music from the radio (eg classical music for the Mozart effect) to let him/her enjoy music from the very beginning.

Most newly born babies happily eat, sleep and listen to music; when they are a few months old, they start clapping the rhythm of the melodies with their hands; and when they can walk, they have original ways of dancing the music they listen to.

When you are a young adult, you have developed preferences that are far from those in your childhood; however, you may sometimes feel comfortable with the "childish" music you have to hear when you are at a birthday party of some relative's or friend's son or daughter.

As we grow, we change our preferences and we develop our own taste. If you have parents fond of classical music or any other kind of music, you might have developed a liking for such kind of music. Have you ever found yourself humming a song that you don't like? ...the music you listened to when you were younger was recorded by your brain and sometimes it leaks out ...

Einstein on Mozart's music
I enjoy almost any kind of music. Depending on the mood, I listen to classical music such as Symphony 40, Mozart, or "Remembrance from the Alhambra" played by any famous guitarist; sometimes Calypso music (from Jamaica folklore) by Harry Belafonte; Rock and Pop music, such as songs from Bee Gees; Salsa, from a wide variety of famous singers and bands; Jazz from many players; or the Dutch symphonic metal compositions of EPICA. Like most of you, my preferences vary widely, since music is part of the joy in our lives.

Music in films is also essential, not only in musical films, such as The Sound of Music and Chicago; but also as the background score that gives a special atmosphere to a film, such as the movie soundtrack of the Lord of the Rings. Analyses of the musical scores of each of the films of the trilogy have been made to uncover hidden messages that certainly enrich the story.



The guitar, the piano, the violin are my favourite instruments; however, I must confess I play none of them. I enjoy dancing a bit of rock and roll and  salsa... I wonder if I would enjoy watching a ballet, I have never been to one. 

To my surprise, I enjoyed watching the musical films Mamma Mia and Les Miserables; both have wonderful musical scores and interpretations.... and the former is still on stage right now...!!

As you may have noticed by now, I love music.




Now, it's your turn

Write about

The importance of music in your life
The kind of music you like most
Instruments of your liking
The singer, band or group of singers you like
The kind of music that you do not like now, but you liked when you were younger.
The music of films that you remember
Any information you find pertinent to music appreciation

Wordcount: 160 words
Make comments on 3 of your classmates' posts and the teacher's

23 comments:

  1. Ajajaj, I confess that I do not play instruments either (besides the flute) but that I would love to learn!
    Amazing post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megumi,
      You have plenty of time to learn to play the instrument you like... do it whenever you want.
      See you,

      Delete

  2. I hope you can go to a ballet concert soon, since they are very interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine,
      They must be interesting... I will go to one, someday...
      See you,

      Delete
  3. I have to admit that I love musicals !!, I saw that you have a good taste, so I want to recommend the musical "Hamilton" is relatively new but it's so good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valentina,
      First time I listen to the existence of that musical in Chile. Thank you for the tip.
      See you,

      Delete
  4. I like disney musicals, like Moana. Les Miserables is very good too, I saw it on tv a few days ago
    Do you hear the people sing, singing the song of angry men ♪

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Belén,
      The lyrics of that song is very strong and moving to me.
      See you,

      Delete
  5. One of the best musicals is "Mamma Mia" but honestly..I prefer "La La Land"! I recommend it to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Haidee,
      Nice to know you liked them. I watched LA LA Land and it a very good film. By the way, LA stands for LA=Los Angeles, a city where musicals where very important ...
      See you,

      Delete
  6. I have to confess that I'm not a big fan of musicals, but my exceptions are Mamma Mia and some Disney's musicals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Francia,
      Not all musicals are good to me; yet, "The sound of music" and "My fair lady" are great to me.
      See you,

      Delete
  7. Mamma mia is one of the best musicals I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Catalina,
      It's incredible how well the lyrics of Abba's songs were used to make the script of the play and movie.
      See you,

      Delete
  8. The guitar and the violin are some of my favourite instruments too, i like the sound of string instruments in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula,
      Me too. But I can't leave behind the piano...
      See you,

      Delete
  9. I love the sensation that the music of the movies provokes, it gives personality to the scenes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth,
      Music in movies is essential to me... And yet there are people who scarcely pay attention the music...
      See you,

      Delete
  10. I also dance salsa, but it´s a gulty pleasure.
    Praise of the music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicente,
      Salsa is a great dance, yet you need a good partner, otherwise...
      See you,

      Delete
  11. You like a great variety of music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ariel,
      Many people do that. Don't you?
      See you,

      Delete
  12. I like music very much. I enjoy mainly classical music. I´m agree that a good music in movie film make it succesful!!

    ReplyDelete